A Dissonent Pair - RevEng Object Selection



This Blackwing pencil was once coveted as an out-of-production legend. Now, it's back on the market and everyone who indulges in beyond-staples stationery (and have also moved beyond their Moleskine) knows about this tool. It's known because of it's discontinuation and revival, but mainly because it was made famous by the legendary award winning artists, musicians, and writers who have praised it throughout the 20th century. 


It's revival also comes with a product line expansion that I feel is incongruent with the anchoring product (the pencil), and it's unique qualities. In particular, with daily use of the two-step long-point sharpener that was made for the pencil, I'm bothered that it and the pencil don't feel like a cohesive pair in terms of form. Also, the lid broke on my sharpener and now shavings go everywhere in my pencil case. 



The Blackwing is iconic because of the unique shape of the ferrule and eraser system - in fact, it was the expensive machine used to make the clip that broke that became the catalyst for the pencil's eventual discontinuation. 

  



I want to model both the sharpener and the pencil (particularly the ferrule) to hopefully take this project one step further and re-design the case for the sharpener (and maybe even 3d print it?!!). That would be awesome. 

To understand the objects a bit more, I sketched the pencil and did a quick breakdown of the pencil and sharpener. It seems like the ferrule is a rounded rectangular prism, and could be turned into a cool case for the sharpener just by increasing the scale. The plastic case of the existing sharpener can't be taken apart into each wall, but when I remove the cast-metal sharpener (when I find a small screwdriver) I anticipate the shape is made up of walls glued or joined together.


It can be taken apart fairly simply into the clear plastic lid, screws, blades, wood+graphite pencil shavings (a little detail that would be great to do), and the cast metal sharpener compartment with holes for the pencil. The curvature of the case will be a unique challenge and the raised embossed type would be cool to know how to build and render.  





Another option if this sharpener + pencil is too simple (as it has no movable parts), would be the librarian-like date-stamp that I use to stamp my notes with satisfaction daily...unabashedly basking my lameness. 



-SP

Comments

  1. I am thrilled about the time and care you put into this post. LOVE the sketch study. I think this will make for an excellent pair of objects for the assignment!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summit - Vinyl Production

The Process Is A Processs - Vinyl Design

The Eudaimonia Castle - Building in Rhino