Modular Stairs - Vinyl Design

Modular stairs are hard to climb, but I finally got to the top. 



To build my theoretical cubic stairs posed a lot of challenges that I didn't anticipate. The process became a lot of trial and error in the software, and the result is not exact to my sketches. I used a lot of construction lines to get it working and relied on offset, array,  trim and join. Oh! and I learned about group - what a great command! 




My approach from last week was not working... or thats what I thought. I think the reality of it was I was getting confused thinking about keeping construction lines and understanding what to trim away. In hindsight, this could have worked. 





This approach was working but the woven look wasn't lining up and keeping consistent line thickness. It also felt too simple. Later I realized that polar array with the hexagon in this orientation (point on top) was confusing me. 





Then I started to think about Hexagons in terms of trapezoids. It took me a while to figure it out. 







After I understood how to construct what I wanted, I realized the importance of construction lines. Offset was also very useful to create even spacing around each trapezoid. 



 



Playing with different types of array created a more complex pattern that could be repeated and 'trimmed' in different ways. This created a modular system that could create an evolving pattern. 






This became my base pattern. I would then trim and build it in different ways to get different patterns within the hexagon, with the intention to rotate the work back to the cubic orientation (point on top) after completing the design. 



The four patterns I used (ignore the far left). I tried to create a step in the complexity of each to continue the idea of stairs and a journey. 




I tiled them with array and copy onto a scale outline of my notebook (in white).




I also learned a cool trick with copy: if you move the originals, all the others move with it! This is how I moved the shapes over when I realized I needed to increase their scale. 





Scale was a saviour. 




Same with group! 



I wanted to try and create a pattern that dissolved or used the spine in a different way but It never looked good...



I thought the pattern above was my final, but it was too small. 


Perspective view always looked cool. 



I ended up scaling also also simplifying because when I measured it out, I knew it would cause a lot of headache and cover the book a bit too much. It will still take a while to weed but I'm kind of looking forward to it. I think the reveal as I go will be pretty satisfying. 


The Final Result:





Rotated, ready to be cut  (illustrator file). This is a more accurate view of how will appear on the notebook: 



-SP

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summit - Vinyl Production

The Process Is A Processs - Vinyl Design

The Eudaimonia Castle - Building in Rhino