Those Who Ignore Untouchables: Unconventional Eyewear - Paper Prototypes
I made two prototypes of my design, but looking at the requirements now, the second one from plastic does not fall under the category 1) paper, cardstock, or cardboard. I'll show both anyway.

During this construction process I kept thinking about how/why this design should be 3d printed. Then, I had to keep reminding myself that this paper prototype was just about functionality... the intricate detail that would make the rings or hoops look like jewelry will come when designing in Rhino.

I began by using leftover strips of illustration board from 1st year and setting up a mirror so I could build on my own head as I went. From strips, I made the rings that would surround my head basically by bending the board into shape and using a headband to keep the support ring tight to my head.
WARNING: I look insane in these pictures and it's all very embarrassing but for the SAKE OF THE BLOG here we go:
The support form
Making the rings and getting 3 to cover my mind, eyes, and mouth.
The concept is that the upper class elites of India did not and still do not think/see/speak about the mistreatment and stereotyping of the sadly named 'untouchable' class. Remember these rings will look very intricate using patterns from Indian jewelry.
Different views of the model
Issues with the connections - they look weird. Maybe they could be clear? Also when building this on my own head I had a hard time keeping everything in line.
So, I tried something else. I ordered a bunch of prints of photos I have taken over the years to sell. They were pretty big and printed on metal. Needless to say, they came packed quite nicely and I decided to save these big plastic strips that went around the boxes. I stored them coiled up for maybe 2 years now, knowing they could be useful one day. Well, the day had come. They are plastic so not sure if this second prototype is fair to include, but I'll show you anyway.
Hot glue and building on my own head was the approach. Yes, I did get hot glue in my hair. No, it was not fun.
I wanted to continue with the idea of covering eyes, head, and mouth. But I also decided to add extra to cover the left eye. I read when researching that in India twitching of the left eye is considered a bad omen. So by covering that eye, it becomes a sort of jewelled-bandage to the eye-twitch problem that this hypothetical aristocrat has.
Without the gold and intricate patterns/details, this definitely looks like a freaky, bandage, non-protective helmet. This one is held up with a halo ring instead of the headband approach.
Both models. I'm not sure which form is better for this project, that's something to talk about in class Tomorrow.
Comments
Post a Comment